Enhance Your Experience Design with Previsualization Tools
Written by, Tim Smart, Manager, Technology Innovation Group
(Download PDF Version: Preview the Future)
Anticipation builds as you move through the branded registration area and vast expo space. You look around, impressed by what you see, but you’re excited to get to the general session and take your seat. As you go through the doors, you’re swept up by energetic music and pulsing lights moving around the room. You take your seat and the lights dim, revealing a beautifully designed stage and dazzling opening media piece on the screen. The excitement is palpable, but you’re not really there—you’re in your office, thousands of miles away. You’re experiencing your event virtually through previsualization tools.
The Power of Previsualization
InVision believes in using the power of previsualization (previs) to create smarter, more impactful events. Imagine being able to experience your event long before it even begins—getting a 360-degree preview, complete with environments, lighting, music and motion—without having to travel to the venue or build expensive sets.
When applied correctly to a production design workflow, previs enhances collaborative design thinking and accelerates decision-making during the pre-production process. With previs, you can test different concepts, experiment with effects and make changes before you execute them in the real event space. You can sit in the audience or stand on the stage. You can evaluate the impact of your music, media pieces and stage designs. And, best of all, you can share this experience with key members of your team during the development process—no matter where they are in the world.
So, What is Previsualization Anyway?
Popular with game developers and film directors, previsualization uses 3D computer renderings and virtual reality to create a realistic visualization of how something will look when complete. By simply putting on a pair of VR goggles, you can be instantly transported into a virtual environment.
Advantages for Event Marketers
InVision’s Technology Innovation Group was inspired by how previs technology was being used in other industries. We thought this same technology could offer tremendous advantages to event marketers, including:
- As an organizer, you have the ability to visually experience an environment in a form very close to reality. You can view sightlines and first-person perspectives from the best and worst seats of the house, on stage and everywhere in between.
- Executive speakers can experience what they’ll see from the stage, including locations of confidence monitors and other visual aids.
- Dynamic lighting schemes can be integrated into the virtual space and video media files can play on the virtual screens, bringing you closer to the actual experience.
- Programmatic and visual decisions can be made earlier in the process, cutting the cost and time spent developing environments because key decision-makers can experience the exact same space at the same time in advance of it physically being built.
- Designers can design within the virtual environment, reducing costs associated with any redesigns on site.
Since 2015, InVision has utilized previsualization to help our clients develop more impactful programs, work more collaboratively and streamline development costs. We’re currently working on the next generation of previs, incorporating both augmented reality (AR) and mixed reality into our previsualization tools. Let us demonstrate how to bring your event to life before it even begins.
If you’re interested in learning more about how previs can enhance your planning process or if you’d like a live demo (which we highly recommend), let’s talk. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.